Intellect and Intuition
This course will continue with the exploration of the roots and major sources for our tradition of shamatha and vipashyana meditation. In this segment we will examine the Mahayana tradition, from the early sutras and commentaries, through Kamalashila's famous Stages of Meditation, concluding with the sutra mahamudra tradition of Tibet. Participation in the course "From Fright to Flight" presented in Spring of 2010, which focused on the Theravadin traditions, is not a requirement to attend this course.
- Terms and Definitions
- Prasangika-Madhyamaka Paths and Stages Chart
- Obstacles, Travelers, Bhumis, and Results
- Stages of Two-Fold Emptiness
- Sheja Dzod Shamatha and Vipashyana Chapter "Introduction Root Verses"
- Jnanagarbha's Commentary on Maitreya Chapter of Samdhinimocana Sutra
- "Meditation and the Concept of Insight" in Kamalasila's Bhavanakramas
- Treasury of Knowledge Stages of Meditation
- Replacement Readings for Class 3